The title of my PhD is ‘Heart of Stone: how do we learn from places and spaces that no longer exist? an investigation into the ideas of genius loci and emotional heritage’
I will be posting more information about my specific research areas here shortly.
In the meantime you can find a summary of my research question in one my recent blog posts.
Academic publications list
- Co-author and practitioner researcher on Museums on Prescription project best practice toolkit, UCL Culture, University College London, 2017
- Joint editor with John Reeve of the GEM journal, Learning through heritage, Autumn Issue, 2008
- Author of Reading the city: active heritage learning in the GEM Journal, 2006
- Author of article in ‘Reflect’, the magazine of the National Research and Development Centre for Adult Literacy and Numeracy (NRDC) provided a forum for dialogue between research, policy and practice, article on Practitioner research: just a fling… or a long-term relationship?, Reflect edition 6, 2006
Participation in conferences and symposiums
- Presented a research paper at the Architecture, Media, Politics and Society (AMPS) conference on Tangible – Intangible Heritages: design, social and cultural critiques on the past the present and the future at the University of East London, 14 June 2018.
- Presented a research paper at the RAI annual conference, Art Materiality and Representation, British Museum and SOAS, 2 June 2018.
- Represented the UK at the national correspondents meeting in Lisbon for the ICOM Committee for Education and Cultural Action, April 2018. What do we mean by cultural action?
- Presented a research paper at the ICOM, Committee for Education and Cultural Action and the Committee for Historic House Museums (Demhist) international conference at Historic Royal Palaces, October 2017 on ‘The Lost City: How do we learn from spaces and places that no longer exist: an exploration of London’s genius loci and sites of emotional heritage?’
- Presented a paper at Borders and Beyond in the Middle East since 1914: Legacies, Changes, Continuities, York St John University, June 2016,
- Presented a workshop at Object Based Learning study day, UCL Culture, University College London 2016
- Co-directed the conference in collaboration with the Zabludowicz Collection Collecting the Emerging Symposium, UCL, May 2015
- Presented a session on heritage learning at Group for Education in Museums conference, September 2014
- Panel member on ‘Are Museums turning into playgrounds?’ debate at the Battle of Ideas, Barbican, October 2014
- Presented a workshop at Historical Association conference 2013
- Presented a paper on Smithfield Market heritage at BERA conference, 2007
Header image: English Heritage memorial plaque to the Tyburn Gallows on a traffic island between Oxford Street, Hyde Park and Edgware Road